18 March 2019

Driving in the EU after 29th March in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

It seems we are bombarded with news about Brexit on a daily basis and are still no nearer to securing a Withdrawal Agreement. So what should you do if you want to drive in the EU, EAA or Eire on or after 29th March and we still don’t have a deal?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you will be legally required to provide proof of motor insurance in the form of a Green Card. This is a certificate that proves you are suitably insured and it is essential you take a physical copy with you, as digital copies are not currently acceptable.

Insurers are currently busy developing a process to fulfil their obligation to issue Green Cards. As every insurer is different, therefore please contact Erskine Murray in the first instance, advising us of your intention to drive in the EU on or after 29th March and we will help you ensure you are covered.

Please note: if you’re travelling with a trailer, you will need two green cards: one for the trailer and one for the towing vehicle.

If an agreement hasn’t been reached between the UK Government and the EU, you’ll also need an International Driving Permit (IDP). This is available over the counter at participating Post Offices, and you’ll also need it if you’re hiring a vehicle abroad. An IDP isn’t required in Ireland. You should also take your UK driving licence with you when travelling in the EU, and you must have a GB sticker for your car.

It should generally only take a couple of days to process and issue your Green Card, however, we would advise allowing more time, ideally four weeks, as the process is still being developed. You’ll need a Green Card even if you have a foreign use extension on your motor insurance policy.

If you travel without a Green Card, you may not be allowed access on to a ferry or to cross the border. In addition, you could be fined and your vehicle impounded. Please note, your motor insurance policy doesn’t cover you for fines or release fees.

If you’re intending to travel abroad in the EU, EEA (European Economic Area), Andorra, Serbia, Switzerland or Eire on or after 29th March, please contact Erskine Murray as soon as possible to discuss your insurer’s requirements. Either contact your Account Handler direct or call the office on 0116 265 4300 and we will be happy to advise and provide further guidance. (Please note, the Green Card will not be required if an agreement between the EU and UK is reached or a transitional arrangement implemented).