Consultants Insurance

SME Insurance

Consultants Insurance

As a consultant, your clients rely on you for your service and advice. 

You are most likely trusted to make important contributions to your clients’ businesses as well as being an expert in your field.  Here at Erskine Murray, we have experience of providing insurance products, including professional indemnity, for consultants just like you. We understand that errors can happen, despite your best efforts! 

Our insurance packages for consultants can include industry specific policies to protect your business against the costs of defending against allegations of professional negligence, such as providing incorrect advice.  The right business insurance products can give you peace of mind as well as evidencing to any third party suppliers or business partners that you are appropriately insured.

Insurance for consultants

There are a range of insurance products which can be useful for those working in a consultancy role.

  • Professional indemnity: this protects the business in the event that professional services (advice/ guidance/ design etc) provided cause a third-party to suffer a financial loss.
  • Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights: this could include using content from a website without permission for example
  • Breach of Confidence: if you share confidential information or sensitive information without consent
  • Breach of Confidence: if you share confidential information or sensitive information without consent
  • Defamation: this covers making false or damaging claims about a person or organisation
  • Civil Liability: claims can occur because of your business activity for a client

There are of course many different insurance policies which may also offer a good level of protection for your consultancy business, so do get in touch with our team here at Erskine Murray to help you put together the right combination of cover to suit the risks you face in your role.

Do I need to have loss of income insurance?

We can advise you on loss of income insurance or business interruption insurance, but it is not always included in many consultant’s insurance products. It is possible to add loss of income cover to your policy.

How much public liability cover will I need?

As every industry is different and is open to differing levels of risk, it is difficult to recommend a specific level of cover.  Our team will discuss your requirements with you and provide guidance about the appropriate levels of cover available.

If I stop practising, will I still need cover?

You may wish to think about having run-off cover to protect yourself against any claims which are taken against you for work done whilst you were still practising.

SME Insurance by Sector


Cyber attacks are a rapidly growing, see how we ensure you are protected. 

Directors’ and Officers’

Often referred to ad 'D&O', this policy is designed to defend individuals against damaging claims.

Shops and Offices

From office blocks and home offices to hairdressers, florists and newsagents, we cover the entire scope of this sector.  

Commercial Property Owners

For property owners, investors or developers, single property to portfolio's, we have the solution.

Residential Property Owners

For property owners, landlords and associations, we deliver a policy that covers all related risks.


One policy for fleets of all sizes. Our online platform compares insurers within minutes, so you know you have the right cover.

Professional Indemnity

Often referred to as 'PI', a profession-based risk management package.


Our package covers every single trade. Simple, effective and delivered by the same or following working day.

Motor Trade

For dealerships, mechanics, valeters, bodyshops and everything in-between, we've got you covered.


Including buildings, contents, liability, unoccupied and rental protection.

Golf Course

Golf courses possess specific risks which specialised golf course insurance can help protect you against.


Whether you are a small independent bakery, or a larger chain, it is vital you consider your level of business insurance.

IT Contractors

From basic repairs and builds through to emergency cover, your clients call on you for your expert knowledge and skill.

Coffee Shop

There are many risks associated with not only running a successful business, but in serving hot drinks and food to the public.


Professional indemnity insurance is an important policy, as you are offering professional services to other people & businesses.


Your clients call on you for your expertise, knowledge and skill, whether you are a quantity or land surveyor.

Business Interruption Insurance

Business Interruption insurance, also known as BI, is a much-misunderstood cover which can often be overlooked by small business owners.

Wholesalers Insurance

Erskine Murray can help wholesalers to find the appropriate insurance to manage the risks to your industry and provide the right protection for your business needs.

Tech Start Up Insurance

Here at Erskine Murray, we make it easier for you to cover and protect your business with several appropriate policies packaged together.

Media Professionals Insurance

The media and marketing industries can be vulnerable to claims of negligence for what are in fact basic errors.

High Net Worth Insurance

High net worth insurance is ideal for people with high profile occupations such as sports people, actors, singers and other people in the public eye.

Graphic Designer Insurance

As the risks can be fairly wide ranging, there are lots of appropriate insurance policies which can be useful for graphic designers.

Civil Engineering Insurance

At Erskine Murray we understand the many risks associated with those involved with working at height, extreme depth and working with asbestos.

Business Owners Policy Insurance

An enhanced business insurance policy which combines property insurance alongside general liability insurance.

Contractors All Risk Insurance

Whilst all construction sites are different, there are still common risks and threats shared by them all.

Domiciliary Care Insurance

If you are a self-employed carer, or you run a home care business, you are in a position of trust and responsibility.

Who do I


If you would like to talk more about your SME Insurance needs please contact Rob.

Rob Marshall

Head of SME

Who do I


Rob Marshall

Head of SME

Employee Benefits

Have you considered an Employee Benefits package? Such a policy can help you attract and retain a highly skilled and dedicated workforce.

Professional Indemnity

Our PI arm are specialists in providing PI insurance for architects, consulting engineers and the construction industry.